Community health

public health nurse service

If your child has any health concerns or medical conditions that you would like free support or advice with please contact the Public Health Nurse. 

Year 7 and 8 immunisations at school 

When your child is in year 7 and 8 they’re eligible for important free immunisations. Going through school is the easiest way to get your child immunised, but you can choose to go to your doctor instead. 

What are the immunisations for? 

The Tdap vaccine is offered as one injection in Year 7 (and is also known as Boostrix). The Tdap vaccine provides protection against tetanus, diptheria and pertussis (whooping cough). Protection against tetanus and diphtheria is long-lasting. Protection against whooping cough lasts about five years. 

The HPV vaccine is offered in Year 8. This protects against 9 strains of human papillomavirus (HPV) responsible for cervical cancer and some other cancers, as well as genital warts. Protection is longlasting. The HPV vaccine is given as 2 injections, spaced out over at least 6 months. 

Your child will receive a consent form early in the new school year for you to read, sign and return to school before they are immunised. Parents are asked to complete this whether or not they consent to the vaccination and return it to school. 

For more information please contact the Public Health Nurse or see the below website:

Debbie Williams 

Public Health Nurse 

Whanau & Communities Group | Te Matau a Māui Hawke’s Bay 

Tamatea Intermediate Community Dental Clinic

Phone 06 873 4864

Fax 06 844 5803

Community Oral Health Services COHS provides free school-based clinics for 0-13 year olds, as well as all the adolescents that attend Wairoa College up to the age of 18. Early pre-school enrolment in COHS helps parents prevent their children having poor dental health.

If you have recently relocated to Hawke’s Bay and are wanting to enrol your child/children into the COHS please contact the service administrator by calling 

0800 Talk Teeth (0800 825 583) 

who will arrange for the necessary paperwork to be forwarded to you to give consent.